Technical Paper Abstract
This paper will give a report from the Industrial Internet Consortium’s TSN Manufacturing testbed. The goal of this testbed is to display the value of new Ethernet (IEEE 802) standards referred to as Time Sensitive Networks in a manufacturing ecosystem of applications. Four ODVA Members are participating in the testbed, including Bosch Rexroth, Cisco, Innovasic and Schneider Electric. The testbed will:
- Combine different critical (e.g. OPC Pub/Sub and ODVA CIP) and best-effort traffic flows on a single network based on IEEE 802.1 Time Sensitive Networking (TSN)
- Demonstrate the real-time capability and vendor interoperability using standard, converged Ethernet
- Evaluate security value of TSN and provide feedback on the secure-ability of initial TSN functions
- Show ability for IIoT to incorporate high performance and latency sensitive applications
- Provide integration points for smart edge-cloud control systems into IIoT infrastructure & application
By the time of the report, the testbed will have conducted at least 2 plugfests where a variety of vendors have demonstrated varying levels of integration with TSN-based networking technology. This paper will report on the applications used, the level of integration and readiness of TSN based standard technology and report some of the value of TSN to the ODVA community.
Paper and presentation from the 2017 Industry Conference & 18th Annual Meeting of Members
Paul Didier, Cisco Systems
George Ditzel, Cisco Systems
Ludwig Leurs, Bosch Rexroth
Jordon Woods, Innovasic
Industrial Ethernet, Industrial Control, Industrial Internet Consortium, IIC, Motion Control, EtherNet/IP, Time-Sensitive Networking, TSN, software-defined networking, SDN, deterministic Ethernet.